Written by ADW News
Organizers for Atlanta's New Year's Eve Peach Drop celebration say they are expecting nearly 200,000 people at Underground Atlanta on Monday night for the event.
Billed as "The Largest New Year's Eve Celebration in the Southeast," the peach drop is a tradition that will be going into its 24th year in the city. According to reports, it takes 35 workers about three days to ready the stages, sound system and 800-pound peach.'
Police will begin restricting driving on roads near Underground Atlanta, 50 Upper Alabama St SW Atlanta, Ga. 30303, at around 4:00 p.m. Road closures will also affect travel to the World of Coca Cola and Georgia State University.
Officials recommend arriving at the site before 8 p.m., due to the large number of people expected.
Abbey Road LIVE! is slated to perform a set that include more than 100 Beatles tunes, from all eras of the group's career. In addition to the standard drums, bass, guitar and vocals, the band has added live horns and strings that allow them to recreate orchestrated songs like "Penny Lane," "I Am The Walrus" and "All You Need Is Love."
In previous years the Peach Drop has brought on closures to the following streets:
• Alabama Street from Forsyth to Peachtree streets
• Wall Street from Central Avenue to Peachtree Street
• Marietta Street/Decatur Street from Spring Street to Central Avenue
• Walton Street from Forsyth to Peachtree streets
• Luckie Street/Auburn Avenue from Forsyth to Peachtree Center Avenue
• Williams Street from Forsyth to Peachtree streets
• Forsyth Street from M. L. King Jr. Drive to Walton Street
• Broad Street from Marietta to Peachtree streets
• Peachtree Street from M. L. King Jr. Drive to Ellis Street
• Park Place from J.W. Dobbs Avenue to Decatur Street
• Equitable Place from Auburn to Edgewood avenues
• Pryor Street from Decatur Street to M. L. King
• J.W. Dobbs Avenue from Peachtree Street to Peachtree Center Avenue
• Edgewood Avenue from Peachtree Street to Central Avenue
Vehicular traffic will be allowed to flow on, but not enter the perimeter formed by:
• Central Avenue and Peachtree Center Avenue on the east;
• Spring Street, Walton Street and Forsyth Street on the west;
• M. L. King on the south; and Ellis Street and Carnegie Way on the north.